Thursday, September 25, 2014

Ground Breaker Brewery--100% gluten-free beer and food!!

On a recent road trip to the Pacific Northwest, I planned a stop in Portland knowing that the likelihood we'd find a delicious meal that met all of our food requirements was pretty good. And I was right. I Googled "gluten-free restaurant + Portland" and one of the first places in the results was Harvester Brewing (since we stopped, the name has been changed to Ground Breaker Brewing). Having not had beer, save for cider, I jumped all over the chance to have beer without the symptons I get from gluten.

My girl enjoying a hazelnut and jelly sandwich on gluten-free bread with apple chips and lemonade. The usual food she gets when we're on the road is a grill chicken breast and steamed veggies because nearly all children menus include hamburgers, hot dogs, quesadillas, pasta or mac n cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches. Once you count out gluten and dairy, all you have left is a hamburger with no bun or a hot dog with no bun and she likes that idea less than the grilled chicken and veggies.


I got a cheeseburger (oh, yes, I splurged on cheese!) on a gluten-free bun, of course, with house-made ketchup and kale chips AND a flight of beer. Oh, how I've missed beer. Ciders are fine, sometimes, but I miss ales and dark beers. Still didn't get any dark beers, but got ales and some fruity beers. Delish!

The most exciting part of the meal was dessert. We were both very excited since we don't get dessert all that often (both for our health and because nearly all of them contain gluten or dairy). This is a lemon coconut pudding and two gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. Not only were they house-made, they were freshly out of the oven. The whole meal was a dream from start to finish. I couldn't stop raving about how nice it was to have a burger with a delicious bun, and beer, and dessert. I highly recommend a stop at this gastropub next time you're in Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment