Thursday, September 25, 2014

We're allergic to everything! What do we eat??

The first question I get after I tell someone that my daughter and I cannot eat gluten or dairy, PLUS my daughter cannot have eggs, quinoa, soy, corn, hemp seeds, nitrates, Yellow dye, artificial coloring, strawberries, tomatoes and oranges. She's 5. So that's fun.
But over the last year (how long we've known about the dairy, strawberries, tomatoes and oranges--which has cleared up her excema-- and gluten, which has allowed improved her sleep, moods, emotions, attention and stomach problems) we've slowly figured how important it is to stick to the restrictions and what we can eat instead. My daughter is in no way deprived, she just doesn't have the same junk as everyone else. She still has junk that is just as unhealthy as everyone else's, it's just different.
Since the beginning of this year, we've add to add eggs, quinoa, soy, corn, hemp seeds, nitrates, Yellow dye and artificial coloring to the list. That's been tough. Especially being gluten free, since quinoa, soy and corn are often used as subs for gluten. At first I thought, "Whatever, no big deal, it doesn't make a difference." But, oh, have I noticed a difference, so I stick to that pretty strictly for her. It makes both of our lives better.
Sooooo...the ever-present question: What do we eat?
That is what I'm going to answer in this blog. I've been struggling with finding adequate subs for eggs. My first pancake attempt ended up with ultra-dense pancakes there were less than yummy. I believe if I'm going to eat something, I'm going to enjoy it. So I've been experimenting with different recipes and subbing out different things to see what works best. I finally found a light and fluffy pancake that is gluten-, dairy- and egg-free. I did a little happy dance around the kitchen. It would have been vegan except that I'm out of maple syrup, so I used honey instead.
I loved them and my daughter did too (although she was OK with the dense pancakes....). I haven't tried them out on a kid who eats the Standard American Diet to see how it stacks up. If anyone wants to come and be a taste-tester, I'm all for it.
Now that it's fall, I'm excited to try my hand out gluten-, dairy- and egg-free pumpkin recipes. I made a pretty good pumpkin pie last year, but that had eggs in it. To get a notification every time I posted a new blog post, be sure to subscribe. I'm always making something new and experimenting, so I'll have plenty to share.
Got a question, suggestion or tip to share? Email me at heatheryoung805@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment