Saturday, September 27, 2014

Pancakes!!!!

Pancakes are a favorite breakfast (and sometimes dinner) food in my house. The challenge has been making them gluten-free and dairy-free and tasty. I did that. Then I had to make them egg-free. That was more of a challenge. I started subbing applesauce for egg, but they were too dense, and not so tasty, though my daughter still ate them all.
I usually make pancakes on Saturday or Sunday mornings, and make a rather large batch so I can freeze a bag full for quick breakfasts throughout the week--just toss a frozen pancake in the toaster.
I finally found a GOOD (read: tasty) gluten-, dairy- and egg-free pancake recipe. It can be vegan (I was out of syrup, so I used local, raw honey instead) pretty easily.

Here's what the batter looks like after mixing everything together.

The pancakes on the stove. Looks pretty good. Would look better if my pancake cooked them more evenly...

Two pancakes all done.

You can see the fluffiness! So much better than the dense ones I made last.

And finally, the pancake topped with almond butter. My daughter likes to top that with jelly. She no longer asks for syrup or honey to go on top (phew!). I happily eat my pancake like this with a side of scramble eggs (I can still eat eggs...).

Gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free Pancake Recipe
1 cup of gluten free all-purpose flour (be sure to check the labels or with the company for any allergens and/or cross contamination)
1 tablespoon flax meal (you grind it yourself, but I buy a bag of golden flax meal--Bob's Red Mill)
2 tablespoons organic Grade B maple syrup (or local, raw honey)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1 cup of non-dairy milk (choose whatever milk is your favorite)

Instructions:
Mix together dry ingredients. In separate bowl mix together wet ingredients and then slowly add to dry ingredients.

I found the recipe HERE--much better than my iPad photos.

I make a large batch (after trying out a single batch first) and freeze the leftovers. I line a baking sheet with parchment paper and freeze the pancakes on there, then put in a ziplock bag so the pancakes don't stick together and I can pull one out at a time and toss in the toaster for breakfast for my girl. I also freeze both uncooked and cooked bacon and sausage (I freeze them on the pan so I can pull on out at a time) so I can grab and go (with the cooked meat) or just cook one at a time for the uncooked when I have more time. Be sure to read ingredients on the packages to get the least processed meat and pay a little more for the organic, grass fed animals. Meat usually isn't gluten-free unless it says so on the package because many animals are fed a diet of grains.

** Always check labels of every packaged food you buy to check for any hidden ingredients that you are allergic to or any cross contamination. The label will usually alert you to any cross contamination. For serious allergies, you can look up information on the company's web page or call the company.
If you are making this recipe for someone else with an allergy or sensitivity be sure to ask them about cross contamination, and any suggestions for brands to use if you are unsure. It's better to be safe than either show up with something your friend can't eat or something that makes them sick. **

No comments:

Post a Comment